Wednesday 18 February 2015

Too Many Remastered Games?

Hi guys,

Today we will be talking about possibly quite a controversial topic, the remastering of games. I say it is controversial, because there are people who think that remasters are brilliant, and those who think it is a lazy way to earn more money, so let's take a look at that!

First of all, I very much support the remastering of certain games, there are games such as The Last of Us. I never had the chance to play this game while I still had a PS3, and sorely missed the fact that such a famous, flagship game of Playstation wasn't in my history books. So I went out and bought the remastered version, which also included the Left Behind DLC, which got nearly as much critical acclaim as the base game. Probably the most famous remaster on PS4/XOne is GTA V, which I played on the PS3, and thus chose not to sink more money into a game that I had already played. Here is the clincher though, I Chose to save my money and not buy the re release of the game, there was no element of dragooning me on Rockstars part seeing as I had bought the PS3 version of the game.

However I do think there are certain situations where a remaster isn't really necessary, for example the recently leaked and then confirmed Darksiders 2 remastered edition for the PS4. This is where I part ways with the theory of remastering games, I never played DS2 of PS3, nor did the reviews/player feedback inspire me to launch myself from my house to go out an buy it. Then if we look at DMC:Definitive Edition, this is another game that I never played on last gen, but again it never appealed to me so we can add this game to another I will not be buying given the new opportunity to play it now. As it stands I only own two remastered games, TLoU and Tomb Raider, neither of which I played on last gen, but both of which I am highly enjoying now I have been given the new chance.

There is only one other remastered game that I feel is worthy of a mention today, and that is Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, firstly a way better name than Definitive or Remastered editions. Secondly I view this game as having three parts to it, Borderlands 2, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, and all the DLC. As you may know I did have BL2 back on the PS3, and I loved it so much that I deeply regretted getting rid of it. Also I never had any of the four sizable expansions for it or the 5 themed bosses they later released, all of which are being bundled into the game. Plus I have never touched The Pre Sequel, and I am incredibly excited to play this collection later in the year when it is released. I would definitely say that the Handsome Collection is in my top 3 most excited games coming out this year.

All in all, even the games that I don't deem worthy to be remastered, I still think they should be, because it brings those games to a new group of people. Let us not forget that it is a pretty risky thing to release a remastered game, because if everyone thought of it as money grabbing and no one bought it, they the company's would lose immense amounts of money, which based on the continuing trend of remasters, I would say they are making a prophit! Lastly I want to share with you all some of the games from last gen that I would like to see brought onto the next generation(yes I still call the PS4/XOne next gen), the entire Uncharted series released in one game(doesn't need the MP-to speed up the process), I would like to see a MGS collection released, as these were games I have never played, but would love to with a new coat of paint on them. Lastly there is the Bioshock collection, again I haven't played any of those games, nor will I get the chance to now my PS3 is gone.

What do you think about remastered games, and would you like to see some specific games remastered? Let me know on Twitter!

Thank you very much for reading,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment