Thursday 13 June 2013

Interview: Decaying Logic

Hi guys
Today I am bringing you something rather special, my very first interview, it is with an Indie company who make games with bugs in, but have ideas for something bigger. I was very refreshing to talk to people who don't have the budgets that big games do these days. I hope you find it as eye opening and informative as I did. If you want to go to their website you can here. Without further ado here is the interview:

      
          What first made you decide to create your indie company?
Lampros: It all started as a small project idea between the two of us to make a game (I Will Survive) and we had to give ourselves a name to release it under.  I wouldn’t call DecayingLogic a company as such, more like the games industry’s equivalent of a small band.

             How many people work at DecayingLogic
Matt: Right now it’s basically me and Lampros. When it comes to things we can’t physically do ourselves we get other people in to help out. For instance, a friend of ours Rob, came and did the soundtrack for RADicalROACH. We’ll be getting another artist soon to help out with some stuff for I Will Survive. We’ll have to see how it all expands in the future.

What was your first inspiration to make RADicalROACH?
 Matt: The idea came about while thinking about I Will Survive and how the world came to be the way it is.  Random train of thought somehow went to roaches in a nuclear wasteland and so on. Not a very impressive story.
  
               How long has your team been together?
Lampros: I met Matt during my studies in UK, he would come over now and again as he knew one of my house mates. The bonding agent was our common interest in video games. We became friends pretty fast, and we thought we should start hating each other by working on a project together.

       What academic route did you take to have the talent to be able to make the games you make?
Lampros: Matt taught himself to do the programming and I always liked drawing. My tongue never caught up with what was going on in my mind, so I preferred to draw what I had in it. It was always a hobby for me, as well as a big medium to express myself. Studying illustration at the university pushed me to see the professional side of it, and I had a hard time doing so.

         What inspires you on a day to day basis in your job?
Matt: Job? I wasn’t aware we had jobs. That’s why we make games, it inspires us that we can work on something that we enjoy and not have to grow up and get real jobs.

         Which side of the fence are you on the Indie are better than AAA games?
Lampros: Indie games are certainly more daring and original than the newest of mainstream games.  Indies, since they have nowhere near the funds pumped into their projects as big name games do, have to try harder in other areas to make their games stand out. I appreciate a good storyline, original designs and music over high-end graphics, so huge worlds, 200 different bullet holes and 10.000 units on-screen don’t impress me very much.
Matt: If it’s a good game it’s a good game. I don’t see why everyone cares so much about how much was spent on the creation of a title or how many people worked on it.

              How have you funded RADical ROACH?
Matt: Out of our own pockets. RADicalROACH was made to help us fund our bigger project I Will Survive.
Lampros: I gave Matt £20 once.

         After RADicalROACH I know you are working on I Will Survive, are there any other game in the pipeline?
Matt: I Will Survive will be the main game we focus on now for the next few years. It’s going to be put out in volumes as making one huge game will take us a lifetime as we are an army of two. The first volume will be out at around Christmas time this year, followed by the next in mid 2014. You can see more on it here http://decayinglogic.com/i-will-survive-vol-1/. Other than that we are working on a few little games here and there, maybe we’ll have a few releases for the mobile platforms soon but nothing we can really go in depth about right now.

       Where do you see Decaying Logic in 5 years time?
Lampros: Me and Matt will keep working on quirky games.

Thanks for reading
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment